Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Voice Among Thousands

Just a few months ago, I was approached by an increasing number of people proclaiming that I was a "hippy". Funny story being I used to think everybody in Vermont was a hippy but myself. I guess that's what happens when you begin to care about more than yourself and the little sliver of the world that surrounds you. 

I chose to go to the Climate March in New York City about 36 hours before it began. Spur of the moment on Saturday night I drove with a friend (who's apartment I stayed at) right after I got out of work to her house in Brookelyn. People I am the cruise down Vermont's one-lane highways type; I am no city driver. The next morning after visiting the cutest boutique cafe, we embarked on the world's most packed subway with our fellow climate marchers.

Simply the energy is enough to attend. Each person was able to chose a category that may have influenced their participation or how they label themselves, and then march among these peers. I however, felt like I didn't have one single reason. I was there for Sandy victims, for vegans, for Vermont, I have a solution, etc. etc. I was there to empower change and add a small voice to our ongoing revolution for climate justice. My life has changed dramatically since that day.

(Lazy Ibis: Brookelyn, NY -- best iced coffee w/ almond milk)
 (I swear we were butt-to-butt)
(March of Silence @ 12:58)

We are all connected in more ways than we know. Even if it is simply changing to a reusable water bottle, creating a compost, or walking to the store.. it's a difference that counts.

" I am the dust in the sunlight, I am the ball of the sun. I am the mist of morning, the breath of evening. I am the spark in the stone, the gleam of gold in the metal, the rose and the nightingale drunk with its fragrance. I am the chain of being. "

No comments:

Post a Comment